Backlinks & Internal Links: Link building for SEO Summarized
Jul 27th - 2min.
Link building remains super important for your SEO ranking. Improving your backlink score is crucial if you want to excel at the top of the search results.
Whether you like it or not, link building remains super important for your SEO ranking. "The more sites that link to your website the better" used to be applicable, but that is no longer the case. Find out what you can do to improve your internal links and backlinks here.
Internal page links
Internal links are links that you enter on your own website to refer from one page to another. The trick is to keep visitors on your website or platform for as long as possible. Just think of Instagram and Facebook, they are masters in keeping people interested. Internal links, which allow you to link from one blog to another, for example, can certainly help.
The number of internal links is not limited by Google. It is nevertheless recommended using a maximum of 200 internal links. The value of links is divided by the number of link pages. The more you link to your own pages, the less those references are worth. So don't push it.
Need a comprehensive SEO guide? Download our free e-book: The All-round SEO Checklist [Tools & Golden Rules].
You get Backlinks because other websites link to your website. Google doesn't only look at the total number of backlinks when calculating your backlink score, but also at the quality of the pages that link to your site. Do you have a blog about cooking? Then links from other (famous) cooking blogs are very valuable.
Backlinks, also known as inbound links, serve as a benchmark to measure the credibility and popularity of your site. These links can not only give you a higher position in the search results, they also boost your website traffic. Unfortunately, the rule also applies the other way around. Worthless or negative links will lower your organic position.
We can’t ignore it, link building starts with creating quality content.
How can you generate qualitative backlinks? A number of tips and tricks to get started with link building:
- Create great content that people are looking for and other sites are happy to link to.
- Link to other quality sites or blogs (within your industry), one pleasure is worth the other, right?
- Write guest blogs and comment on other popular blogs. If you want to go even further, you can enter into partnerships with other companies or agencies to promote each other's content.
- Certain types of content attract more links than others:
- Lists are blogs that are often linked to. If all the information you need is neatly arranged, why would you write it again yourself?
- Interviews: work together with experts. They will then share your blog on their blog, but also on their social media and the channels of the company... This way you significantly increase your reach.
- Publish press releases.
- News jacking articles, opinion articles and case studies are also strong content examples.
- Organize free webinars.
- Offer templates, infographics and PowerPoints. Others are happy to link to these types of content.
In snack format
- Internal links: links that direct people from one blog or page on your website to another one.
- Backlinks or inbound links: other websites that link to your website. The quality of these sites is of significant importance.
- Link building starts with strong, valuable content. Link to other pages yourself and write guest blogs to develop relationships within your field of expertise.