How to Become Better at Cold Calling
Sep 23rd - 3min.
Let's burst the well-known bubble: "I am not good at cold calling". With our tips, your calls will become a smashing success!
Cold Calling: to make an unsolicited visit or telephone call to someone, in an attempt to gather information or sell goods and services. We thoroughly explained this principle in this blog, but now it’s time to roll up your sleeves. Let's burst the well-known bubble: "I am not good at cold calling". With our tips, your calls will become a smashing success!
Firstly, a strong elevator pitch is key! It’s a brief speech, explaining what your company does. You use it to spark interest in the product/service/etc. Make sure to highlight the Unique Selling Points of the product and why it would be helpful for the potential customer. Make it short, more or less 20 seconds, and add a call-to-action.
Lists, lists, lists!
Build a list of potential people to call. Don't know where to find the contact details? Read our blog "5 Tools to Help You (Automate) Building a Network on LinkedIn". With the help of Lusha, you will be able to contact them in no-time.
Make different lists for the different people you are going to call (potential clients, partnerships, etc.) You can easily do this in Excel.
Prepare a script
Write down what you’re going to say. Don’t read it out loud, but use it as a guideline. If you have some short sentences or quotes at hand, it will boost your self-confidence. Think of an original opening and closing. Create that sentence the listener won’t get out of his/her head.
Prepare for rejections
Not everyone will immediately agree to your proposal. Moreover, people are likely to object three times before following you. It's important that you learn from these rejections. Write it down and make sure that you have an answer ready for the next call. Remember: there will always be annoying or rude people. Don't let them ruin your success!
People don’t always like to be called by an unknown person. It’s important to turn their frustration into happiness. So be as enthusiastic as possible. It’s contagious.
- Don't sit down. Walk around.
- Find a quiet place without any people.
- Talk like the person you are calling is in the same room.
- Smile while you are talking. Sounds stupid? Well, research shows that the listener will automatically feel more connected because our voice tone changes. Body language can be interpreted through vocal patterns. So, we sound much more friendly when we smile.
We covered a few tips to improve your calling. But most importantly, as the American entrepreneur, author and motivational speaker Jim Rohn once said
"The only way for you to get better at anything is to keep on doing it over and over and over and over again…"
Practise makes perfect! So, pick up the phone and start dialling.
In snack format
- Prepare an elevator pitch with the appropriate Unique Selling Points.
- Make a list of contacts and how you can reach them.
- Prepare a script. You can use it as a guideline.
- Prepare for rejections and learn from them.
- Be cheerful. The energy you provide is the number one reason why your cold calling is going to be a success or not. People will like you.